Needing a reprieve the from my hunt for the Mystic Healthy Muffin, I decided to try something a little more indulgent today. Something sweet and rich and easy. Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake Muffins.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I buy this from the bulk bins at my grocer - you can use whole wheat or all AP flour)
- 2 generous teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (I used Earth Balance soy-free)
- 1 egg (I use medium eggs to save fat/calories)
- 1 6 oz carton non-fat lemon yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
In small mixing bowl, stir together flour, poppy seeds, salt and baking soda. In large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter. Beat in the egg. Add yogurt and extracts, stir to combine. Stir in flour mixture until dry ingredients are moistened.
Spoon batter into well-greased muffin tins (about 2/3 full). Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Cool muffins on wire rack 5 minutes before removing from pan.
I often will add a tablespoon of ground flax (flax meal) for a nutritional boost, but it's not necessary. This is a 'small' recipe, but is easy to double or triple. Makes 6 regular or 24 mini muffins. Child approved, cheap and easy.